Summer months we all want to be outside in the backyard but how do you avoid mosquito bites? Apart from just spraying your skin with repellents when spending time outside, there are a lot of simple precautions and adjustments you can make to make your outdoor area more comfortable this summer. Prevention of being over exposed to mosquitoes is the best defense to reduce the chances of serious infections from mosquito bites such as West Nile, Zika, and Malaria.
Reduce Common Breeding Areas
Removing possible breeding grounds for mosquitoes to breed can greatly reduce population. Some common breeding areas for mosquitoes are: stagnant water or puddles, poorly drained areas around your property where moisture or water builds up, old tires, bird baths, rain barrels, buckets, clogged gutters and tall grass. Look around your property for any areas that are holding excess water or moisture will help ensure a lower mosquito population.
Minimizing Exposure to Mosquito Bites
While avoiding being outside is not always an option or desired in the summer, there are some precautions that you can take to reduce exposure to mosquitoes. Wearing long-sleeved shirts and long pants with socks will cover most of your body, greatly eliminating exposed skin to mosquitoes to bite. For exposed skin try using appropriate repellents to areas of the body that are exposed to help deter and reduce mosquitoes from biting.
Preventions You Can Take
- Apply an appropriate insect repellent that contains DEET, oil of Lemon Eucalyptus, and other repellents when outdoors and follow the manufactures instructions on the label.
- Wear light colored, loose-fitting clothing with long sleeves and pant legs while outdoors.
- Reduce time spent outdoors between the hours of dusk and dawn.
- Make sure your doors and window screens fit tightly and are free of holes.
- Reduce the mosquito habitat around your home by regularly cleaning and emptying water holding containers such as bird baths, wading pools, children’s toys, eavestroughs, tarp covers and plant trays.
- Ensure that rain barrels are covered with a fine screen and tightly sealed around the downspout.
- Clean your yard of old tires, empty flower pots, buckets and any other debris where water collects.
- Keep grass mowed and vegetation trimmed around high use areas (ex: doorways & seating areas).
- Keep trees and shrubs trimmed and cleared of foliage on the ground.
- Making sure there are no puddles developing below your deck.
- Removing old planters and pots in the backyard that aren’t being used.
- Dog water bowls, change the water often will be safer for your pet and reduce the chances of a breeding area.
- Utilize the services of Guardian Pest Control this summer with our Mosquito Control services! At Guardian Pest Control, we professionally treat your property where mosquitoes live, rest, and hide. We’ve got you covered for all your needs; your home, summer cottage, cabin, special backyard event, or outdoor wedding.